Troopers investigate wreck

Three people suffered injuries in a multiple vehicle crash in the northbound lane of Interstate 75 near the U.S. 33 exit at Wapakoneta at 11:18 a.m. Monday.

Wapakoneta Post Commander Lt. Scott Carrico said this morning that a report still had not been completed concerning the collision and troopers with the Wapakoneta Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP) responsible for investigation of the accident were busy at the scene of another mishap this morning in Minster.

He said no information had been released yet concerning the accident but would be available later on today.

However, a published report indicates Suzanne Borders, 47, of Wawaka, Ind., was attempting to enter the southbound lanes of I-75 in a semitrailer when she lost control of the semitrailer and crossed the median and struck a car in the northbound lane.

The vehicle came to rest in the ditch and the semitrailer stopped alongside the interstate.

According to a published account, a couple from Texas were transported to Lima Memorial Health System, where they were in critical condition. Borders was transported to St. Rita’s Medical Center in Lima and appeared alert at the scene.

The semitrailer was carrying two saddles of diesel fuel, resulting in the spilling of fuel at the site.

Auglaize County Emergency Management Agency Director Troy Anderson said diesel fuel and motor oil were spilled at the scene. A saddle tank ruptured and caused an approximate amount of 80 to 100 gallons of fuel to leak into the grassy area beside the highway.

The semitrailer was briefly on fire.

Anderson said the spill threatened to spill into a nearby catch basin which led to a pond close by, but they were able to dam up the spill sand prevent it from spilling into the basin.

Officials at Lima Memorial would not release information on the status of the couple and Linda Chartand at St. Rita’s Medical Center did not return a telephone call to check on the status of Borders prior to press time.

The exit ramp onto U.S. 33 was closed for most of the day as officials remained at the scene for nearly three hours to clean up. Traffic remained open in one lane.

Members of the Wapakoneta Fire and St. Johns Fire departments responded to the scene for the fire and patient transport.