Redskins Earn Outright WBL Title

Staff Writer

On senior night, the Wapakoneta Redskins started out slow, but picked up steam, winning their second straight Western Buckeye League title outright Friday night in a 46-7 win against St. Marys at Harmon Field.

"This was step No. 8 toward goal No. 1, an outright WBL title," said Wapakoneta coach Travis Moyer. "We are so fortunate to be in this situation and so fortunate to have a group of kids that are so unselfish and have sacrificed a great deal."

The slow start, which has been accustomed for some time throughout this season for the Redskins (9-0, 8-0 WBL), started when the Roughriders (6-3, 5-3 WBL) received the ball first.

On that opening drive, the Roughriders marched 73 yards on an astounding 19 plays, chewing up 10:40 of clock. The drive ended on a Dustin Howell quarterback sneak from 1-yard out.

The Redskins answered on their opening possession with a 12-play, 65-yard drive to tie the game as Jared Cockerell punched it in from four yards out.

With 1:22 left in the second quarter and the game tied 7-7, the Roughriders were in punt formation when a bad snap to punter Matt Patton, forced Patton to scramble for the ball, as the Redskins recovered at St. Marys' 26-yard line.

Six plays later, quarterback Aaron Huffman found Ethan Good for a 5-yard touchdown pass. The extra point was no good, giving the Redskins a 13-7 with :25 left in the first half.

The Redskins opened the second half with a pair of encroachment calls on the Roughriders, one of them converting a first down on third down. The drive lasted eight plays when the WBL touchdown leader Lauck scored on a 26-yard run to go up 19-7 after a failed two-point conversion.

On the Roughriders first play from scrimmage to begin their second half, running back Eric Spicer fumbled after a 15-yard run, giving Wapakoneta the ball at St. Marys' 30-yard line.

After a 23-yard quarterback draw from Huffman, Lauck scored again from 1-yard out to push the Redskins lead to 26-7.

On the Roughriders next possession, St. Marys went three and out, setting up a punt at their own 15. Corey Crawford broke through the line to block Patton's punt. The ball was then scooped up by Dylan Kuehl for the score to push the lead to 33-7 late in the third quarter.

The last scoring play for the Redskins came in the middle of the fourth quarter with Manny Vorhees punching it in from 1-yard out to make it 46-7 after the Redskins kneeled on the extra point.

After the opening drive touchdown by St. Marys, the Wapakoneta defense did not allow another point in the game, finishing under their season average of nine points a game. They limited the Roughriders offense, the third-best rushing attack in the league, to just 116 yards.