Skip to main content

Wapak football player under investigation

October 28, 2011

A Wapakoneta Redskin football player is not being permitted to play in tonight's game against the Kenton Wildcats after school officials were notified by Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) of an investigation regarding the player, the Wapakoneta Daily News learned Thursday night.
Wapakoneta City Schools Superintendent Keith Horner confirmed the information this morning, noting school officials were informed Thursday of the investigation and of a possible violation.
Varsity football coach Doug Frye informed the team of the alleged infraction during a team meeting on Thursday.
An OHSAA investigator followed a student who was listed as living in the Cridersville area to a residence in Elida. The OHSAA rules state a player must eat, sleep and live a majority of the time in the school district, but they are permitted to stay with relatives, friends outside the district.
"We are not going to allow him participation in contests until we get a final word from the OHSAA," Horner said. "We don't anticipate knowing their decision until next week.
"We also want to do our due diligence as well as we want to respect the rules of the OHSAA," the superintendent said.
Horner said the OHSAA board has ruled in the past that teams with ineligible players have forfeited the wins from the games the player participated, so the 2011 season could be in jeopardy if the OHSAA investigation concludes that a violation has been committed.
The Wapakoneta Redskins, who are 9-0 on the season, play the Kenton Wildcats, who also are 9-0 on the season, in a showdown for the Western Buckeye League crown at 7:30 p.m. today at Harmon Field in Wapakoneta.
The Wapakoneta Redskins are currently ranked seventh in an Associated Press poll and fifth in their region.

Comments

Proud to be a Redskin, in spite of the October Surprise.

October 29, 2011 by Amom (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 81

These boys busted their butts to get where they are, and last minute, questionable allegations may have cost us a win last night. If his residence was not an issue for the first nine games, then it should not have been last night. If the allegations may result in the forefeet of the season anyway, then he should have played. What if the allegations prove untrue?

For those who think this is justice for a juvenile delinquent, my question is, is he in jail? Whatever he has done, he has fulfilled his obligation to the justice system, or he would not be walking amoung us. I thought the object of the justice system was rehabilitation, which he has evidenced, with his intense focus on football rather than crime

For the first time since my child entered high school, I have watched kids - all kinds of kids - get excited, get together, and support their team. I have seen an optimistic spirit in all of them, that this is crushing. I might add that I'm happy to see so far that a quiet love and support for our boys is surfacing, in spite of what amounts to bureaucratic bullying, rather than anger.

With that spirit in mind, I am throwing it out there that we need to start a lawn sign campaign in this district, to support our school and team. Something along the lines of what was done for Kent Boyd. Not quite sure what it should say, but something that reflects that we are proud to be Redskins, in spite of it all.

Comment to Proud to be a Redskin

October 31, 2011 by OldGeezer (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 89

First, let me say "yes you should be proud to be a Redskin". I don't live very close to Wapak, but I do like your town. It's clean, it has a nice feel to it, and the people seem nice. So I agree with you that you should be proud. However, there are a lot of people out walking the streets who are "on parole" who have not paid their debt to society. We have "sex offenders" who live in our neighborhoods who have not paid their full debt, but got out early because of "so called good behavior" when in fact Ohio does not have prison space to hold all the guilty ones. I know that there are several drug offenders who are out on the streets, with a $50 fine, suspended sentences, community service stipulations, etc and have not paid their debt to society. I know nothing about the young man in question and I have no clue what he may or may not have done over in Elida. But I am telling you that we have plenty of people out walking the streets who should still be in jail, but for whatever reason, they are not in jail as they should be. I just wanted to address that point. But the original statement you made "proud to be a Redskin" if I lived in Wapak, I would say the same thing... you should be proud to be a Redskin.

Support our Team, Support Our Kids

October 29, 2011 by Amom (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 80

Congrats to both Kenton and Wapak

October 28, 2011 by OldGeezer (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 73

I listened to the game on radio and the game was everything any football fan likes to see or hear regarding a good high school football game between 2 fine high schools. I hope that Wapak gets to the playoffs, but if that one player was actually living elsewhere, it's a shame the rest of the team has to suffer. Kenton appears to be well on their way to the play-offs and now it's just a matter of how well they perform each week. Again, congrats to both teams on a well-played game this evening.

Congratulations Wapakoneta

October 28, 2011 by socialite (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 76

Congratulations Wapakoneta for a great season. I am so proud of all of you.

wapak player

October 28, 2011 by rocketman (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 71

there is a lot of discussion at rocketcorner.com concerning this story

This kind of stuff just

October 28, 2011 by toad (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 67

This kind of stuff just follows Doug Fry!!!

Player under investigation

October 28, 2011 by fttpow (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 66

How convenient on the timing. Regardless of innocence or guilt, he's still not allowed to play in tonight's game. This appears to have Hardin County politics all over it.

Not Hardin County. Elida -

October 28, 2011 by socialite (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 74

Not Hardin County. Elida - sour grapes and a young, immature football coach with a vendetta. Timing was everything. From what I hear this young man was following all the OHSAA rules. I guess anyone can call the OHSAA and report something - true or false. It has to be investigated. I know this young man has been an excellent student and worked hard on the team.

How ridiculous....why would

October 31, 2011 by randomvoice (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 85

How ridiculous....why would anyone from Elida waited until the last game of the season........why not right after Wapak beat Elida, or even before the season began? Elida's coach seems to handle himself quite well.....unlike some others. How is it that the Wapak coach didn't relize this might be a problem? Or anyone in the school administration??

Politics doesn't have anything to do with it

October 28, 2011 by OldGeezer (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 69

How does politics play into a school not making sure their players are eligible to play?? Wrong is wrong, no matter how who points out the problem. Sounds like someone is suffering from sour grapes.

Politics doesn't have anything to do with it

October 28, 2011 by OldGeezer (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 68

If rules are not being obeyed, how does politics play into it? Seems to me that someone in the Wapak schools should have checked this out much earlier.

Way to go Wapak School. It's

October 28, 2011 by really (not verified), 3 years 4 weeks ago
Comment: 65

Way to go Wapak School. It's always nice letting young juvenile delinquents learn their lesson. They weren't allowed to play in Elida for a reason. They took our players spot on the team and now the real residents of Wapakoneta have to suffer their consequences.

I heard in an interview on

October 28, 2011 by socialite (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 75

I heard in an interview on the radio that Coach Frye made the comment no one takes another players spot on the team. They have to earn the spot. If these boys worked hard and earned the spot then they deserve it. They are excellent students, well behaved and respected by their teachers and peers etc. They are "real" residents of Wapakoneta. Just because Elida decided to call the OHSAA to stir up trouble again doesn't mean that they are right. They tried it before and found out the truth wins. That will happen again I am sure in this case.

Interview

October 31, 2011 by randomvoice (not verified), 3 years 3 weeks ago
Comment: 86

Really???? Elida people would have called right after Wapak beat them, not at the end of the season just before they played KENTON...wouldn't want to spoil their perfect record.....good grief.

Player???

October 28, 2011 by erbinator79 (not verified), 3 years 4 weeks ago
Comment: 64

Without saying names can anyone confirm my suspicions on the player, is it the obvious name that comes to mind. I don't want to draw attention to the player so no names please but just wondering

Due Diligence

October 28, 2011 by beachbucks (not verified), 3 years 4 weeks ago
Comment: 63

Due dilligence....it's funny that Horner uses that phrase! He must have had to look up the meaning. It was something that needed to be practiced ALL FOOTBALL SEASON!!!

SIDNEY — Two lost fumbles by the Wapakoneta Redskins doomed their chance of unseating the...
Redskins receive 10 all-district selections; W-G gets 3 From staff reports Wapakoneta...
Wapakoneta Redskins’ first-year head coach Travis Moyer can’t talk about the prior...

Classified Ads